Thursday, March 12, 2015

Book Review - Right Here Waiting by K.E. Belledonne

Title: Right Here Waiting by K.E. Belledonne
Series: N/A
Pages: 220 pages
Publisher: Interlude Press
Date read: March 11th, 2015 (ebook copy)
Goodreads synopsis:

In 1942, Ben Williams had it all – a fulfilling job, adoring friends and the love of his life, Pete Montgomery.

But World War II looms over them. When Pete follows his conscience and joins the Army Air Force as a bomber pilot, Ben must find the strength to stay behind without the love of his life, the dedication to stay true and the courage he never knew he'd need to discover his own place in the war effort.

Good friends help keep him afloat, until a chance meeting on the home front brings him an unexpected ally—one who will accompany him from the stages of New York City to the hell of the European warfront in search of his love.

Written in the style of a 1940s film, Right Here Waiting is an homage to classic wartime romances from the Golden Age of Hollywood
Rating: 5/5 stars

I'd had my eye on this book for a while and finally decided to pick it up when I was in the mood for something historical (with me, anything historical = automatic interest). Right Here Waiting is a heart-warming story about two men loving each other fiercely even when they're thousands of miles apart while one of them fights in WWII. It's such a beautiful story - even if it did rip my heart out a few times.

I fell in love with Ben and Pete almost immediately. The way they fit together, the way their story was crafted was so amazing. They had their ups and downs, like any couple, but in the end, you can really see that they were truly made for each other.

I liked that Right Here Waiting showed the way that many gay soldiers surely lived throughout the world wars. I just loved everything about the way that K.E. Belledonne wrote their relationship. I could go on for days about how much I loved Ben and Pete.

The writing and the story flowed so well in RHW. This is one of those books that I didn't want to put down - that's why I stayed up til midnight to finish it. That doesn't happen often for me in books, but Right Here Waiting was definitely one of those. I always wanted to know what was happening next.

Truly, my only complaint about this book is that there wasn't more of it. I would have loved to have learned more about the men in Pete's flight unit, about Bets and Ginger and all of Ben and Pete's other friends. I know it might have made for a long book, but more backstory on Ben and Pete's lives would have been interesting to read, just for the sake of being able to live in this amazing world that K.E. Belledonne created.

Right Here Waiting is the perfect book for those who love historical romances of the m/m variety. The author builds a nice story that has your emotions going up and down and all around with the characters'. I would honestly recommend this to anyone looking for a great romance. Because that truly is what this book is. I'm going to love these characters for a long, long time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment