Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book Review - Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas


Title: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass, book 2
Pages: 418 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Dates read: February 10th-12th 2015 (Hardcover copy)
Goodreads Synopsis:
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.
Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.
 Rating: 4.5/5 stars
This review may contain spoilers
This is literally what my face looked like upon finishing Crown of Midnight.

Okay so maybe I'd read a spoiler accidentally on purpose and knew about who Celaena is but I was still like holy crap on that last page. Crown of Midnight was really just so well-written - it was one of the stronger sequels that I've ever read.

I think the thing that made Crown of Midnight so great for me is that the tone got a bit darker from the first book. Throne of Glass was mostly about Celaena's journey to becoming Champion and it was good, but then in Crown of Midnight, things really started heating up. The story develops more and I could see how Sarah J. Maas is going to turn this into a six-book series (which I cannot wait for, TBH).

Celaena was awesome, as always. I really, really love that she's shown as a girly-girl while still being a completely bad-ass assassin. It's really something that makes me love this story so much. What I didn't enjoy as much was Chaol and Celaena's relationship. It just felt too forced and I didn't ship it that much (but maybe that's because I just love Dorian to passionate heights). Chaol & Celaena were nice to read but there just didn't seem to be that much chemistry between them.

This book really hit me in the feels, though, there was just so much going on! The part in the middle that I won't mention to not give anything away, Dorian and his magic, Chaol and Celaena's break up it was just all so emotional! I felt things! A book hasn't made me feel things like that since City of Heavenly Fire, to which I cried. I loved that Crown of Midnight could go from intense/badass fighting scenes to a scene that turned me into an emotional wreck.

All in all, Crown of Midnight is a strong, amazing sequel to Throne of Glass. It's well-written and makes you want to know more about the story (especially the fae aspect of it all. It was only hinted at in the first two books, so I'm really excited to read about that in Heir of Fire). The characters all blossom and develop into characters I love even more (*cough* Dorian *cough*). The Throne of Glass series is definitely my new favourite series, especially if every book is like Crown of Midnight

If you weren't sure about this series after reading Throne of Glass, don't be! The tone changes and the story really gets going in Crown of Midnight - it'll make you laugh, cry and it will definitely rip your heart out and leave you wanting for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment